train endurance for core muscles
Develop Endurance for Riding
The core must withstand long periods of time working in the saddle. At some point every athlete has their fatigue point and the training done is to increase this endurance threshold.
The key word in that sentence is train. Endurance has many components that make up the final stamina, it’s not one thing. Most would just consider cardio as a high endurance training but cardio is the aerobic part of endurance, there’s strength, balance, flexibility, coordination and agility and stability. These all make up athletic endurance.
Start by doing complex, compound exercises and you will cut your time in half. A good challenge for a horseback rider is to increase the build up of the exercises.
Try the Diagonal Crunch! It’s gets the abs burning which increase core endurance. You can continue to build up the exercise by holding a plate or medicine ball or increase the number of repetitions.
- Lay on stability ball
- Hands behind head or crossed in front of the chest
- Hips up and throat space open
- Lay back on ball
- Knees over ankles
- Try to keep form!
- Start crunching upward and angled to the opposite side
- Keep both feet on the ground
- 20 reps
- Now do 20 more reps but…
- To the side you are crunching towards, lift foot off ground
- Lay ball on ball and crunch to the other side
- Lift other leg up off ground while crunching to that side